Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Post for Ten.Nine.Zero Seven

The passage that I am choosing that confused me is in The Introduction by Virgina Woolf. I picked this passage mainly because after reading this piece and The Dress, I saw that they both used flies. The particular paragraph in The Introduction is on page 187 and it’s the second last paragraph. The narrator says that she would not let horror posses her, and that the man speaks as if he is killing flies. At first I didn’t know what was going on or what was being talked about. I didn’t understand why she was scared or why she used such a farfetched analogy. She had previously mentioned that as she was walking she noticed the telegraph wires, churches, parliaments, towers, bells, and flats. She says that these were all made by the toil of men. I think the fear she has is sort of being overburdened by the sheer enormity of the things men have done and she hasn’t done anything. The fear is a pressure. As for speaking as if he is killing flies, I think that he is talking as if he is inhibiting or disabling her just by talking to her. She refers to herself as a fly and he could be plucking her wings off with his words.

No comments: