Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Waiting on a feminist

When asked to use one of the Theories so far in combination with the reading, I thought it would be interesting to respond with a reading done from a feminist perspective, probably should have emailed to ask, but it is extremely late and I doubt I will get a response. First I would like to say I agree with Lesley's notion that there is alot of sexualized content in the novel. This is the main reason I decided to do the reading as a feminist. Besides the sexual mentions in the text there are also moments where the main character has Maternal moments or feelings that would be associated with a mother or woman in general. An example of this can be cited on (P7)
I cannot pretend to be any better than a a mother comforting a child between a fathers spells of rath. It has not escaped me that an interegator can wear two masks, speak with two voices, one harsh on seductive

Though he does exhibit some form of caring towards the boy this does not stop him from doing his job, he later on asks that after the boy has eaten his hands be bound, just not as tightly which struck me as a sort of 'rough him up but don't kill him yet" mentality. The author I chose to compare "Waiting" to in this case was I decided to use "To his Coy Mistress" to compare it to.I think that the argument can go back to when we talked about Misrepresentation of women in works of literature. First we are given a stereotype of what women are supposed to behave like when their children are threatened. Then later on though unintentionally done there is a child on (P9) that is described in a sexual manner, this was seen in
She sits in the snow with her hooded back to me working at the door of the Castle, her legs splayed, burrowing, patting, molding I stand behind her and watch. I try to Imagine the face between the petals of her peaked hood but cannot

Wheter women in the novel are being depicted as animals, helpless or maternal there is no definite way to identify women in the story that is positive, if a feminist were to read this, it could easily be said that objectification is present. Also the way the author first describes the children playing in the snow makes it seem like he is talking about animals or pygmies. Going back to the Novel, I was able to find much more when arguing the ideas that women are barely represented, represented in a negative light, and sexualized. Citing page thirteen, the main character is dreaming
I sleep, wake to another round of dance-music from the square, fall asleep again and dream of a body spread on its back, a wealth of pubic hair glistening liquid black and gold across the belly,up the loins, and down like an arrow into the furrow of the legs. When I stretch out a hand to brush the hair it begins to writhe it its not hair but bees clustered atop one another honey drenched sticky
In comparison to His Coy mistress, though each interpretation of women of female characters is different, I was still reminded of Marvell's use of isolating body parts of the woman in the poem and having the speaker identify them as separate entities, leaving the reader with the idea that the woman in the poem has no sense of identity, until the author choses to give her one

No comments: