Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Magistrate and his confusing actions...

Although I have finished reading the novel, I still find the Magistrate's actions to be confusing. I have several opinions about him and what he has done throughout the book, but it seems to be impossible to precisely pinpoint any reasons.

That being said, on the third to last paragraph on page 71, we can read about the Magistrate's encounter with the barbarians as he is giving the girl the option to return to the Empire with him or go back with her people: " 'Tell them what you like. Only, now that I have brought you back, as far as I can, I wish to ask you very clearly to return to the town with me. Of your own choice.' I grip her arm. 'Do you understand me? That is what I want.' " My interpretation of this is that the Magistrate felt it to be his responsibility to return the girl to her people because he had already made it his responsibility to take care of her whilst at the Empire; he bathed her, healed her wounds, provided her with shelter, clothing, food, etc. However, in the end, he grew so fond of her company that he found it difficult to actually have to say bye to her, which is why he made it clear to the girl that he honestly wanted her to return to the Empire with him. We obvioiusly learn that the girl did not feel the same as he did because she decided to abandon him and proceed with the barbarians.

No comments: