Monday, October 29, 2007

10/29

How he thinks of black slaves in the text is merely a reflection of how the rest of the world thinks of them. He obviously hates them, calling them "savages" and how he hates these savages "to the death." Since he hates black people in general, not a particular black individual, one may think that he is a racist. But how can he be a racist if the whole world has the same standing on the issue? Then can we say all men were masculinists back in those days? It wouldn't be fair to judge a value or custom of different time through the glasses of our time, because I believe what right or wrong is told by the time and space. At first, when he gives a biscuit to a black slave ( I still don't know why he did it), it kind of confused me and made me almost think that he's not a racist. But as I read on I could find over and over words or expressions that showed how much he hates them, though I couldn't find any of his actions that reflects his hatred on them.

No comments: