Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I honestly cannot say that the Magistrate accomplishes anything and as to why he does the things he does; I don’t even think he knows why he did them. As we talked about in class he pretty much stumbles into every situation either totally oblivious to the consequences of any of his actions or he is simply naïve enough to believe that nothing will happen to him. This is not to say however that the man I stupid. I think the flaw in his character lies in recognition in worldly matters. There is one progression or accomplishment that he has made however. Early on in the book he talked to the girl about grim, very melancholy subjects. He even goes as far to say that he talks to her about his self resentment. As we come to the end and he is beaten, starved, bruised, broken (in more than one way) and humiliated he no doesn’t talk much about how this resentment toward himself. I can certainly see that clearing this personal obstacle could be some sort of accomplishment but does this end really justify the means in which he obtained it? There is a chilling line that he lip syncs to Joll “The crime that is latent in us we must inflict on ourselves.” I think this is where the Magistrate is summed up. To understand you must be wronged, and true understanding is when you do it for yourself. I believe that even though he might be oblivious he is doing it in the interests of bettering himself. To call that self-serving however, I leave that for Adam to decide.

No comments: