Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Justice or Freedom?

I think that the Magistrate does what he does because of his sense of justice? He believes he is doing the right thing by helping the barbarians. There are many scenes where he aids the barbarians. In the second chapter page 47-48 in my book the Magistrate is having nightmares because he probably feels guilty because he was unable to help the barbarians. Then there is another scene page 71 in my book where the barbarian girl is speaking with another barbarian. The magistrate tells her to “Tell them the truth.” I kind of got the impression that the Magistrate wanted her to tell them about what a nice man he is and stuff but I guess she didn’t. It seems to me that the Magistrate wants someone to recognize him for his honorable actions?

Or perhaps there was an ulterior motive? After he was put in a cell he seemed pretty happy. Page 78 in my book “I am aware of the source of my elation: my alliance with the guardians of the Empire is over, I have set my self in opposition, the bond is broken, I am a free man.” Did the Magistrate intentionally help the barbarians so he would be expelled of his position? We know that earlier in the book the Magistrate was talking about just living out the rest of his life doing whatever. I don’t know these are just some things I thought about as I was reading the book. If the Magistrates goal was to become free he accomplished it otherwise he just really screwed the people. The town lost their crops. I’m pretty sure that the barbarians got word of what they were doing and what they did to other barbarians so they got revenge.

1 comment:

Hyeon said...

You said "Did the Magistrate intentionally help the barbarians so he would be expelled of his position?"
I think you're right. He did. I think he wanted to associate himself with the barbarians rather than the empire, for his conscientiousness didn't allow him to let things be. The injustice and cruelty have been cumulatively sickening him, and after the girl it all explodes. BOOM! ENOUGH OF THIS BULL@#$@#@!