Monday, September 17, 2007

Class 9/17

This post has been edited, please reread:

I heard some signs of engagement today, if not a great deal of certainty. We'll keep working at it. Now that I've received most of your 'translations' of one of Marx's paragraphs (send me yours immediately if you haven't) along with your questions and problematic terms, I've put it all (along with some questions and terms of my own) together into something you'll find on the links list that we can use as a reference guide. Read it over, consider one of the questions and then, predictably, try to answer that question in 250 to 400 words. Also bring the class translation to class.

In addition, read the Introduction to the Marxism section in Modern Literary Theory, and Raymond Williams' 'Marxism and Literature' in the same. The Williams is not short, though easier going than the Marx one hopes.

Lastly, for anyone who missed class today, feel free to make up for it by 'translating' one of the last five paragraphs of 'The German Ideology' into everyday language and emailing it to me along with a question about the Marx you think the class needs to deal with. Let me know which paragraph you want to do before you do it to ensure no overlap.

No comments: