Monday, September 17, 2007

Post 4 (marx and engels)

"The conditions under which individuals have intercourse with each other, so long as the above-mentioned contradiction is absent, are conditions appertaining to their individuality, in no way external to them; conditions under which these definite individuals, living under definite relationships, can alone produce their material life and what is connected with it; are thus the conditions of their self-activity and are produced by this self-activity." [p.19]

I cant seem to interpret the connection between a individuals relationship and the conditions of that relationship, having to alone produce material life in the absence of external events that would make every relationship not "definite (in my opinion).

1 comment:

Bashful said...

I couldn't quite find a connection either. It was just a bit too complex with the use of the word intercourse and many other concepts like this self-activity. All I understood there is that if the conditions are met and the contradiction is absent then an individual can alone produce their material life.I may be completely wrong but that is what I got from it. I didn't quire get the whole relationship thing.