Sunday, October 21, 2007

Anchorman

I had some trouble, at first, trying to figure out a text in which I knew enough to make feminist argument out of. I thought about books, and then I jumped to movies. I finally landed on my favorite movie Anchorman. On the surface level, it’s a comedy about how Will Farrell loses his job to Christina Applegate. After thinking about is some more, I found that this could be viewed from a feminist perspective. Christina Applegate is the only main character in the movie that is female. Although she does have some of her own time on screen where she explains who she is, she mainly is seen through the eyes of the broadcast team, who are the main characters, and who are all male. In the movie she is always seen by herself, and isn’t liked by anyone. The broadcast team has a problem with her joining because she is a woman, even though she is hardworking and is committed to her work. This could be seen as the subversive viewpoint. I think that the fact that she is alone, and that no one welcomes her are the main things that feminist critics would concentrate on. The patriarchal view of this movie is that she is just eye candy, and a “she-devil” that can come to no good but to destroy men, as Will Ferrell puts it. I also think that the dialogue that Christina Applegate has is also sort of different compared to Will Ferrell’s. There is one point where they are throwing insults at each other, and the only thing she has to say is that Will Ferrell looks like a “giant blueberry” or “his hair is stupid,” while Will Ferrell calls her a whore, and tells her that she has a “small brain” and tells her that “it’s science.”

No comments: