Sunday, December 2, 2007

Adrien's Bigness

I remember this one dream I had during the summer. It involved this girl from Florida I had met online. For six months we had been in contact with each other (still are) and she would send photos of herself to me. I reached this point where I just couldn’t stop thinking about her. One night last July, I dreamt that I was out on my front lawn (not sure what I was doing). The atmosphere was strange. It was orange everywhere, like in an old 1970’s photo. Suddenly I felt someone’s hand brush up against my shoulder. I turned around and there she was. I was just stunned. I mean literally, I couldn’t move. I just couldn’t believe she was right there in front of me. Suddenly, before I could do or say anything, like a second later, she’s ten blocks away and turning the corner. I follow her as fast as I could but when I turn that corner, the setting changes from my neighborhood to this weird nighttime Manhattan-like street scene. I look everywhere but she’s nowhere to be seen, just a bunch of faceless people covered in torn coats and jackets, walking quickly left and right. They pretty much creep me out, so, to get away from them I run into this building (the sign indicated that it was a comic book store) figuring that maybe the girl might have done the same. The inside looked like an old abandoned subway station. It gets kind of weird at this part. The scene started to look like something out of a horror-based video game. I started to freak out. I just wanted to get the hell out of there and find her. Then I go through this door and I find myself in this huge room. It looked like a bedroom but it was just bigger then normal. I turned around and there she was. I had finally found her. But the thing is, she was now gigantic (or I had shrunk). I was speechless. It was like my greatest fantasy. She was a giantess lying down in front of me and it seemed so real… and then the damn alarm clock woke me up. I hate that alarm clock.
My analysis:

In order to understand what the idea of a Giantess was I not only had to find the definition but also ask Aidrien, the conversation took place a while ago but between the actual meaning an the shirt he wore on Wednsday I think I have a pretty well constructed idea. So before I get into the Freudian way of interperating his dream I wanted to start with what I compiled over the weekend according to both dream dictionaries, articles and what the actual term means. First the whole concept of him being attracted to larger than normal women ie the 50 foot woman has to do with a term called macrophilia. This is defined as fetishism towards giant women, these types of women do not exsist in the real world they are often described as similar to a woman you may have read about during the time of the titans and amazons. The only reasonable example I could find according to "Urge: A Giant Fetish" found on Salon.com was the Statue of liberty which was described as a
monument to freedom, democracy and the big-girl aesthetic, she looms over New York Harbor, 225 tons of womanhood, 151 feet from toes to torch tip, her head high and huge, her massive bosom outthrust to welcome the tired, the poor, the huddled masses. For immigrants arriving on America's shore, the statue is the earth mother of international acceptance. For macrophiles, she's something else -- the ultimate sex goddess.

Macrophiles are turned on by giant women that uare also called GTS's. As I did some more digging for outside information I found out that the fact that he is dreaming about Giant women may not even be something that can be considered of a sexual nature. Giants in dreams often signify obstacles in a persons life where if a person constantly dreams about giants they may be consumed with the idea itself. Whereas on the opposite side if a person dreams they are a shrunken person being dominated by a giant they are likely to have an inferiority complex. Leaving the idea of sexual attraction or fetishism according to the article I read, these things may not even be his issue. According to Dr Helen Friedman, a clinical psychologist in St. Louis he's either
Playing out some old, unresolved psychological issue.Maybe as a child they felt overwhelmed by a dominant mother, or a sadistic mother. Or were abused. This macrophilia is not so much a fetish as a disassociation from reality. It's part of an internal world." The macro's submersion in fantasy, she says, serves as a substitute for a more normalized approach to sex.



The bed in the bedroom of his dream


Since he really didn't describe the state of the bed in his post there is no way to tell whats going on with him, because mostly from what I've learned our beds are supposed to be places we rest ourselves while in dreams their seen as a symbol for how we see ourselves and our lives when we are awake. The fact that theres a woman on his bed and its away from home may mean that he is not comfortable expressing the fetish he has in familiar surroundings or people he knows on a more personal level. Whereas say in class he may feel more comfortable because he doesn't know everyone and may feel less likely to be judged since on some level we're all relativitly strangers to each other

The Subway/Underground transportation in his dream Because this part of the dream was short, ot can be seen as a temporary look at his day to day life or hidden emotions based on what I've read. Going back to the idea that he fetishizes GTS' this may mean that he draws on it based on the people around him. It also has to do with the way he deals with normal things in his life. The last symbol I wanted to talk about in his dream was the color orange, now first I thought this had to do with sunlight, but sunlight in dreams and the color orange mean two totally different things. I was kinda hoping to get away from the sexual aspect of everything but that just seems to be a recurring theme at this point. The color orange has to do with a persons sexual well being and expression.

What Frued would say
Because I really would like to get back to sleep I'm going to sum up what I think his thoughts would be as well as incorperate the ideas of disasociation, condensation and
. First The dream ends in a SUBWAY then a bedroom, he beleived that any symbol in a dream ie: trains or tunnels were automatically about sex. So no there is no excaping this and we might have a freak on our hands. As far as the Giantess women go another Fruidian issue is visited, he might just be projecting his issues with his mother, I mentioned this earlier according to another Dr. But this was orginally a Fruidian idea. With dissociation in mind it is defined as a " state whereby the memory of an event is divided into individual parts which are not wholly, or partially accessible to consciousness at any one time" So even with everything that is going on in his dream everything may just be a result of what has gone on durring his day, his mind may just be projecting it all in a familiar surrounding with objects or people that he knows on some level (except the faceless people) Condensation is defined as when ideas merge together to form one, so the major symbol in the dream (The girl from Florida who later becomes a giantess) may just be all the events of his day culminating into one idea. People usually dream about things in the form of others they can relate to see on a regular basis or in someway idolize so this makes sense. His displacement issue was something I found more interesting than anything else because with the whole idea that displacement means most of the time bouncing an idea or emotion on to something or someone else Adriens dream could just represent how he feels about a separate person or situation. He mentioned that he couldnt stop thinking about the girl so maybe this was his minds way of internalizing his obession with her?

No comments: