Sunday, December 2, 2007

Well seeing as how it won’t let me see who posted what I’m doing the dream of the person going through the never ending meadow. Curiously, it sounds a lot like Catcher in the Rye with a few things changed. I think that this person is overwhelmed with everything there is. My interpretation is that there is no one to help this person and that they are ill-equipped to take on their daily tasks. This person is also scared about the future which they are unsure of. The blue dress could be significant because blue could represent depression and anxiety. These things could be the condensation.

The passage which I tried so desperately to translate is on 193 and is the second last paragraph. Here Lacan is saying that all knowledge and urges are taken by the wishes of the other (or the image, not the I). It is in this that abstract equivalence and meaning is given and through this the actions we take are dangerous even though these things seem natural. These normalizing values are only gained though living in the society and learning what is accepted. Through society we learn things, but our (I am guessing he is only talking about men) sexual preference and objectivity comes from the Oedipus complex, or the antithesis of that, which Hegel would argue.

I have to say though, I disagree with him philosophically.

No comments: