Sunday, December 2, 2007

My Dream...... Lesley

Lesley’s Dream: “When I used to work as a corporate trainer for The Cheesecake Factory, I would have nightmares almost every night that I was on the road that I would walk into the restaurant and everything that I had done to make things successful for the opening the day before would somehow be a disaster the next day, and I would have start over from the beginning again. I would dream that all my servers would quit the day of the grand opening and I would have to take all the tables by myself and my feet would be stuck to the ground and I wouldn't be able move. It would be as if I was in slow motion, and there would be nothing that I could do to keep it moving.Now that I am in school, almost every night I have bad dreams that I wake up late and miss tests. I also have dreams of my friends and family saying things to may that make me feel like I am wasting my time, and I should just give up. This couldn't be further from the truth in real life.

I am not Freud so Lesley please do not take this seriously by any means! Your Cheese Cake Factory dream seems quite contradictory. You were a corporate trainer, an individual with high status, but yet you were boggled with failure. I am assuming that you had to demonstrate confidence, professionalism, responsibility, and leadership in order to achieve such high status. Perhaps, explicitly, you illustrated those traits, but implicitly you suffer from failure syndrome. You are constantly afraid of failure and that your accomplishments are never quite good enough. You might be apprehensive about authority and how they might view you. Most importantly, you might fear their disapproval and its effects on your life. Their disapproval might demote you to your starting position within the company. The fact that time, with in your dream, occurred in slow motion, can indicate your feelings towards the future. Perhaps, since time moved slow, you may think that you will not be bestowed with the opportunity to move up the corporate ladder. Also, the dream can indicate that Lesley fears abandonment from her servers. What would cause you to feel that way? Did they not listen to you in the past? Did they have a tendency to abandon their managers?

Her dream can also present a specific trait that can be perceived both negatively and positively. She can be viewed as an over achiever. She might never be satisfied with her accomplishments hence the starting over and setting up the tables by herself. She might believe that in order to accomplish a task accordingly, she has to accomplish it herself.

Her dream about her family telling her that she is not good enough might have to due with the fact that once again she is an over achiever. She feels that her family members are never quite satisfied with her achievements. She must go that extra mile in order to demonstrate her worth to herself and family.

Part II

“The child at age when he is for a time, however short, outdone by the chimpanzee in instrumental intelligence can nevertheless already recognize as such his own image in the mirror. This recognition is indicated in the illuminative mimicry of the Aha- Erlebnis, which Kohler sees as the expression of situational apperception, an essential stage of the act of intelligence. This act, far from exhausting itself, as in the case of the monkey, once the image has been mastered and found empty, immediately rebounds in the case of the child in a series of gestures in which he experiences in play the relation between the movements assumes in the image and the reflected environment, and between this virtual complex and the reality it reduplicates- the child’s own body, and the persons and things, around him.”

What I think he is saying in this passage is that a child recognizes him/her self for the first time when they are capable of distinguishing them selves in front of a mirror.This act indicates intelligence. The act of recognition will eventually become"empty", which will then allow the child to recognize his surroundings. I however do not understand the whole scenario with the chimpanzees.

No comments: